Vyayam (yogic exercise) video
Nothing has changed my life faster than Vyayam has. Vyayam is a spontaneous, natural way to move, to live! I almost hate to call it exercise because it doesn’t feel like exercise; It’s fun, it feels good, it’s creative — and yet it’s yoga!
vyayam & tantra
Vyayam yoga is about removing the obstacles that stand in the way of your happiness. As a Tantric practice, whatever it is you want out of life, whatever your purpose in life is, tantra will get you there faster. Two main thrusts of Tantra are the development of energy and the control of the mind.
The key to developing energy and directing energy, to using energy efficiently, is the breath. Where the breath is there is also the mind. By controlling the breath you control the mind. It’s all about the breath.
principles of practice
- In Vyayam, the breath is audible, either soft or strong, according to the intensity of the movement.
- The breath leads the body, taking its strength from the breath and projecting it into the movement.
- The mind is focused internally, observing the activity of both the breath and the body.
- In Vyayam there is no movement without a hand gesture to indicate where the movement is going. When we move our hands, we’re not only moving our limbs around, we’re also moving our energy. During a Vyayam session the hands constantly return to drink from the energetic core of the body, known in Vyayam as the tan hara shakti, or simply the Tan for short. The gestures and movements of the hands highlight the breath and help balance the many magnetic energy meridians in the body.
- Vyayam is taught using a set of circular and fluid movements derived from nature called Vyangas. These movements typically include periods of stasis and often end in a full body mudra that may be used for standing meditation.
- Vyayam also employs a technique known as microgymnastics. Here we compact and compress the energy in the body, then expand and project it, discharging the pressure and liberating the energy centers of the body. Because of this technique, Vyayam practitioners develop a strong, compact, and flexible physique.
Thank you for taking the time to watch this short film. I hope to be sharing the joy that is vyayam with you very soon.